Will air heated floors work in a northern climate?

M
Matthew holmes

Hello everyone, first off thanks everyone for the great website and content. It is extremely helpful for someone like myself who is trying to gain knowledge/education about energy efficienct buildings.

We are starting  to design a new home, which will be located in The Yukon, Canada. We are planning on building a insulated slab on grade, with in floor heating. We are looking to build around 1600-1800sqft.   

We have a 5 acre property, which is perfectly suited for a south facing building. It has a large flat clearing that already has a brand new 3 bedroom septic and electricity installed on a farm service. We are leaning towards a shed roof design, with detached garage. The "Canmore East" house is similar to the design route we are headed.

Hopefully I have painted a bit of a picture of our project. I have many questions, but I'll start things off with the slab. Can anyone tell me more about air heated slabs vs hydronic? I understand hydronic is able to carry more energy in the medium, but also like the idea of having a system that only has air moving through the slab.   

I have followed the building project from EcoHome with the air heated slab, but was wondering if anyone had any reviews of the system a year after? Also, being located in The Yukon, I'm hesitant as I may have to foot the bill to have a representive of Legalett brought up for the approval process? 

Much appreciated, Matt. 

Responses (1)