Responses (5)

Mike Reynolds 3 months ago

Hi Omar,

Frost lines vary by climate. depending on where you are it could be just 6 inches or it youre in the far north it could be 6 feet. I would ask your local building department to learn what the regional frost depth is, or even a local general contractor perhaps. Whatever it is, it would be consistent, so to avoid cracking and frost heave you would be smart to put a perimiter skirt of EPS foam insulation. As a general rule, an inch of EPS is about the same as a foot of dirt for its insulation values. And one would hope that whoever built your home took that into account for the footings on the walkout side.

omar kashef 3 months ago
Mike Reynolds 3 months ago

Hi Omar,

No I didn't realize you were in the design phase still. This is more a question for your designer or engineer, I don't know your local building code and I would not be serving you well to try to give you specific recommendations for foundation frost protection here in a discussion forum. But conceptually speaking, you will need to make sure that the footing is kept warm enought to not be subject to frost damage, and yes there are different ways to do that, putting it deeper is one way.

And by perimeter skirt I mean laying a sheet of insulation flat extending out from the foundation at least 2 feet, at least 2 inches thick. That is another option you might want to discuss with your design team. If it covered the footing and allowed sufficient height still to allow for your patio that might be a simple option.  Patios themselves can be protected from frost heave as well by insulating underneather as well as with a perimeter skirt, but exactly how much insulation and how far out would be required is something an engineer or designer should determine.