How much insulation should I install underneath my concrete slab in my basement?

S
Scott Antonation
Updated: Aug. 5, 2020

I live in a cold climate - Winnipeg Manitoba, and intend to install radiant heat in the concrete slab. As my basement is below the frost line, I’m not sure if insulation is necessary, but want to know what the experts think. If insulation is required, how much and what type is recommended?

Responses (5)

S
Scott Antonation 4 years ago
Mike Reynolds 4 years ago

When I first read that I didn't believe you at first and figured you misread something. So I did a google search and actually found it, to my surprise and shock. That is inaccurate and positively terrible advice. 

The return on investment for adding insulation under a slab floor is difficult to determine accurately without knowing the local cost of insulation as well as power, or without an estimated life span of the house. But anywhere in Canada or the middle to upper US states, it would be foolish not to insulate a basement floor of a new home under construction. In Manitoba, Canada, adding 2 inches of insulation below a concrete slab floor would pay for itself likely in a few years.

Insulating a slab floor means will result in greater durability, it will protect air quality by reducing the chance of mold forming, it will save significant amounts of energy and provide much greater thermal comfort for occupants.

In your case as you plan to install a radiant floor, it is even MORE important to insulate it well as you will greatly increase the temperature differential between the slab and the ground.  A typical radiant floor operates between 30 and 50 °C, which means a lot of heat transferred to the ground that will be about 5 or 6 °C.  

I have only ever heard from one Canadian with an uninsulated radiant heated slab floor and his heating bills were so ridiculously high that he planned to sacrifice his radiant floor, sacrifice some head room and eat the cost of laying down insulation and additional new flooring.

We always recommend EPS over XPS below a slab, the added R value of XPS just isn’t worth the added cost – meaning EPS is cheaper per R value, and XPS manufacturing has very high green house gas emissions. In Manitoba we would probably put about 6 inches of insulation below a floor for a sensible ROI.

Here is our page on the best way to insulate a basement, there are diagrams there that may help you out.