Where do I start if I want to build a hobbit house?

J

Where do I start if I want to build a hobbit hole?

Jasmine Myers Nov. 30, 2021Last updated: Nov. 30, 2021

I live in the Pioneer Valley of Western MA, and I'm looking to build my first home in as eco-friendly a way as possible. When I was a tour guide at a historical site, we used to show people huts that had been built into the side of a hill for insulation, and it made so much sense to me that I'm now really interested in building into a hill or into the ground as a form of geothermal cooling and heating. 

Is this a complete pipe dream or a marginally good idea, and if it's the latter, any suggestions on where I would start with something like this? I'm good at carrying heavy things and working a radial arm saw, but that's about the extent of my expertise. I don't yet own the land (working on that; there are several possibilities out here), and my income is pretty modest.  

Responses (4)

J
Jasmine Myers Dec. 3, 2021, 10:21 p.m.

This is extraordinarily helpful! Thank you so much!

Mike Reynolds Dec. 4, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

Glad to help Jasmine. We hate to see people drop their life savings on building a house that may not do what they think it will do. Cback in if you want more help. Good luck! 

J
Jasmine Myers Dec. 3, 2021, 10:22 p.m.

(sleeping 12 to a 10x14 room probably also helped in that first year on Cape Ann!)