How to get a prefab off grid kit house in BC?

J

Do you have building partners in BC?

Jami Cruz Published: April 13, 2020, 12:05 p.m.Last updated: Sept. 11, 2020, 10:13 a.m.

Very interested in your prefabs on slab. We would prefer to be off grid as the cost of grid power on our site is expensive. We also need a water collection system as our water is not good for consumption. I was looking at the earthship model, however, I was never sold on the heating concept for our northern climate (your article made my suspicions concrete). Is a prefab from ecohome even a reasonable thought when we are so far away?  Sincerely;  Jami

Responses (3)

Jami Cruz
Jami Cruz April 22, 2020, 11:03 a.m. Reply

Thank you for the reply. The more I research the more I realize the Earthship Concept is not for us. 

In researching passive housing the concept of positioning a house to optimize the winter sun for heat just makes sense, especially, when we have lots of land to choose from. 

Does eco home have an architect to develop plans for a passive, off the grid home? I am interested in the style of the Edelweiss House. We could follow the plans to build as the general contractor.  Thanks again for your time.

Jami

Mike Reynolds
Mike Reynolds April 24, 2020, 9:27 a.m. Reply

We don't have in-house architects unfortunately that would be able to do this for you. If you like the shape and general layout of the Edelweiss House, I would suggest you seek out a few local architects that may have some high-end sustainable and resilient homes under their belts and use the Edelweiss House as an example of what you are looking for in terms of design. Just a tip as well - if you already have a good idea of what you 'e looking for, you may want to look for architectural technologists, they can draw up building plans for you (most I think  will provide design advice as well) but that will be a lot more affordable.