What windows should you use when trying to build a Passive House?

R
Raoul Lions
Updated: Aug. 2, 2020

I'm trying to build a passive house on my own as much as possible. I'm going for a hybrid log house look. Using Insulated slab foundation by Legalett, double frame wall system, 12 inches deep filled with dense pack cellulose insulation and a parallel sloping truss roof 15 inches deep again filled with dense pack cellulose and may also incorporate 3 inches of foam insulation first to avoid vapour barrier in roof system ( Hot roof).

Both exterior and interior will be clad with log siding.  I wanted to use wood windows to maintain as much as a rustic feel as possible. Everything I read and am being told is that I will not get the air tightess and insulative qualities I need for passive house standards. I'm finding this aspect the hardest. Any suggestions or referrals would be greatly appreciated. The fiberglass and passive house windows and doors tend to be very modern and linear and take away from the rustic traditional feel I'm going for. My want was the ancestral balcony doors from Martin windows in Quebec. Just to give you an idea of what I was going for.

Responses (1)