What is the best way to finish a basement with exposed pink fiberglass insulation?

C
Claudia Fieo
Updated: Oct. 26, 2020

I recently read that exposed pink fiberglass insulation is not healthy. It covers the full expanse of our basement, the full footprint of a modular home built in 2003, about 26’x44’. I would like to cover the ceiling to be able to set up an artist studio in the space and I am wondering what is the best way to cover up the insulation without boxing in the pipes that cross lower than the ceiling joists. Could pine boards be fitted between the joists up against the insulation or is it possible to use metal sheeting of some sort? Or would you recommend that it is better to box out the plumbing after all before installing a wood or drywall ceiling? The walls are concrete that my husband painted with a white moisture barrier product that seem best to leave alone to avoid mold problems developing, so how might we finish off the ceiling around the perimeter of the concrete foundation? He also painted the concrete floors with a latex floor sealer that failed and needs remediation. The paint residue is dust in places and still intact in others. I would very much welcome your advice.

Responses (0)