Purpose of this event:
- To enable participants to visit a spacious, open concept single level home that is only 60% of the size of an average new home.
- To showcase the increased level of comfort that is possible all year round in a hyper-insulated house.
- To highlight the principles of green building beyond simply energy performance - healthy air quality and a reduced carbon foot print through choosing responsibly harvested, recycled, reclaimed and non-toxic building materials.
- To provide an overview of the initial construction costs vs recurring operational costs. Added building costs are offset by monthly savings on utilities, making high performance homes a sound financial investment.
Builders, homeowners, designers and the endlessly curious. No building experience necessary.
Morning - design and concept:
- The economics of hyper-performing homes - buying insulation vs renting heat
- Design basics for passive heating and cooling - home orientation, shading, layout
- Kitchen and bathrooms - water efficiency, durability, moisture management
- Air quality - ventilation and non-toxic building materials
- Floors ceilings and walls: reclaimed, recycled and low-impact materials
- Mechanical : decentralized ventilation, heat-pump water heater, radiant floor, wall heat-pump
- Exterior: drought resistant landscaping, drainage, green roof, rainwater harvesting
- Passive Solar Index (PSI) and LEED - an energy overview: lighting, electric car terminal, appliances, heating strategy
Afternoon - construction and discussion :
- Slab-on-grade, no basement: insulation, plumbing, vapour and radon control
- Air barriers and vapour barriers: the difference between and the importance of each
- Wall assembly - performance, durability, thermal breaks
- Construction and insulation of roof
- Windows and glazings- different performance criteria for different sides of the house
- Siding, soffit and roof: Exterior wall ventilation
To register: http://www.ecohome.net/workshops/course/ecohome-demo-house-workshop-tour
Sign Up to Comment