Responses (4)

K
Ken Gee 4 years ago
Mike Reynolds 4 years ago

Given there are a few issues it may be best to address them one at a time. On moisture - does it flood or is it just high humidity? If you get bulk water then you would be wise to install a drain.  If it's not a finished floor then you could smash the concrete with a sledge hammer around the edge , dig it out and intall a drain. If its about high humidity then I'd run a dehumidifier. 

Forgetting about insulation for the moment, you could at least stick a 6 mil poly vapor barrier on the walls if that's where the moisture issue is coming from. If it's a poured concrete floor and it has no vapor barrier beneath then that will for sure be a source of moisture, but a dehumidifier will help with that and we can cover that after. I  hesistate to recommend interior insulation without physically seeing the wall, but the poly won't do you any harm. It will help prevent mold, and it will help with heating costs a bit since it will keep it drier heating moist air consumes a lot more energy than heating dry air. 

Give us more details though -  Ceiling height, finished walls or not (is it living space), poured concrete floor or not, flooding, moisture levels, mold or no mold, etc, whatever you can tell us will help us help you pick a solution. 

P
P Mci 2 years ago

Hi Mike and Ken,

wondering whether you ever resolved this issue. I have the same query - freezing climate, cinder block foundation with no insulation. Excavation will be difficult and costly.