This hands-on course covers the basic science of composting with various feedstocks optimized to produce large amounts of heat, using a simple, but proven approach of embedding a heat-exchanger into a large mass of aerated saw-dust, wood-chips and/or bark-mulch. Course materials and system designs are based on the pioneering work of the non-profit network at CompostPower.org and French inventor Jean Pain. Students will learn about the history of this concept of the "Jean Pain Method" and the early results of CompostPower's experiments in Vermont, while building a Compost-Power system that will be used to create steady base-load heat for domestic hot water, process heat, space-heating or greenhouse-heating depending on the host-site. An overview of HVAC-plumbing-integration or a field trip to an operating system will also be included.
Here for more info or to register.
Saturday 9:00 AM
- Introductions, watch documentary films, review Jean Pain's Composting Book (handouts provided
- Preview of the #s: how to calculate BTU-value and fossil fuel offset (worksheet on projector)
- Arrive at job site, safety notes, review plumbing circulation system
- Commence construction of the Pain Mound
Saturday 12:00 PM
- Lunch with discussion
Saturday 1:00 PM
- Regroup and continue construction
Saturday 5:00 PM
- Group Discussion of progress
Sunday 8:00 AM-9AM
- Briefing, question/comments session
- Continue construction
Sunday 12:00 PM
- Special Guest TBD
Sunday 1:00 PM-4pm
- Finish construction
Sunday 5:00 PM
- Regroup, question/answer/discussion session
- Concluding discussion focusing on composting biomass as part of an integrated sustainable design system
Suggested Items to Bring
- Rubber Boots
Yestermorrow Design/Build School teaches over 120 hands on workshops a year in design, construction, woodworking, and architectural craft and offers a variety of courses concentrating in sustainable design.
Our intensive, hands-on courses are taught by top architects, builders, and craftspeople from across the country. For people of all ages and experience levels, from novice to professional.