What type of insulation under an outdoor deck frame with 2x8s?

E
Eric Dalpe
Updated: Sept. 22, 2020

I have a 11x17 feet  3 season gazebo fully enclose on a deck. Sitting on deck board and finish the inside with LVT. I want to insulate the floor. Though of Rockwool for 2x8 but cant find any would going with 2x6 will make a big difference? I though of covering the wool with 1" rigid board to close it off and limit rodent. I m in Quebec Canada so winters are cold.

The walls are aluminium, i though I could insulate them with 1.5 " rigid board and cover with 1/2" pine. Should I put a vapor barrier in between?

Thanks

Eric

Responses (4)

E
Eric Dalpe 3 years ago
Mike Reynolds 3 years ago

So here are some more thoughts Eric – If you aren’t insulating the roof then I wouldn’t bother going too crazy anywhere else. May as well do the walls with a bit of insulation since you plan to add pine anyway, but you’d lose a lot of heat through the ceiling. Warm air rises and with no insulation in the roof, the floor insulation won’t  make a big difference, so certainly don’t concern yourself over the thickness I would say.

But, that said – for occasional use and specifically with an infrared heater (which is a pretty efficient way to keep people warm in an enclosed space) I wouldn’t worry too much. Heating with electricity where there is clean energy like in Quebec makes a difference too, especially with an occasional use room like you are talking about. In your case, the carbon footprint of insulation as well as the cost of buying it starts to add up, so adding thick insulation in the floor won’t help you save money or energy I think.

I may even be so bold as to say an occasionally-used gazebo in Quebec with an infrared heater would have a lower carbon footprint than a campfire. It's starting to sound a bit like an emergency Covid Socialization room, am I right ?  Don’t lose sleep however you choose to do it.

E
Eric Dalpe 3 years ago