How do you fix high humidity levels in a basement?

J
JR Tadinac
Updated: Aug. 4, 2020

Good morning,

I bought an older house (built 1965) in September 2018 and shortly after moving in (mid October), I was experiencing extreme joint pains. Strangely, I was feeling pain and discomfort only inside my house, everywhere else I was perfectly fine. One year later, the moldy batt insulation in the basement has been removed and replaced with spray foam insulation; the foundation around my house on the outside surface has been waterproofed  (4 cracks were found inside the basement walls) and the grading reversed. I’ve had many contractors come to my house and most of their suggestions have been implemented. Unfortunately, $40k later, the humidity inside my home is still high 50-65% .

Furthermore, a contractor recommended installing an air purifying system, adding additional insulation in the attic and refinishing the walls in the basement to reduce humidity and coldness in my home.  Frankly, I am not sure whom to trust anymore, therefore, your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

JR Tadinac

Responses (3)

J
JR Tadinac 4 years ago
Mike Reynolds 4 years ago

Attic insulation is a good idea, but uninsulated basements are a heat sink, so best is to make sure they are both done. The only reason to insulate the joists above your head in the basement is if you plan to keep the basement at a cooler temperature. If so, then it will work, but with pros and cons however - it's cheaper, faster and easier, but it doesn't do anything to prevent moisture infiltration through the pourous concrete floor. And if you heat the basement then it doesn't serve much purpose at all.

Alternatively, you can consider the basement just part of the conditioned space of the home, and insulate both the floor and walls. Here is a page that may be helpful about how to insulate a basement floor properly. That would help a lot with reducing your heating demand, it would also prevent moisture from continually being absorbed from the ground and being added to the humidity of your home. The reason I asked about head room and how you use the basement is to see if insulating the floor is even an option. if it's 7 feet high now, you could raise it up 4-6 inches and only the tallest of your tall friends will bonk their heads. 

As for a sump pump, I have never heard anyone say they 'regretted' putting one in. It's easy and relatively cheap considering the nightmare situations that it may prevent. I would do it, especially if you plan to insulate the floor.