How do I stop a leak from my attic?
I'm getting water dripping down the inside walls of two opposite exterior walls. I checked the attic and found 1) frost of the underside of the roofing plywood
2) insulation stuffed to the soffit and touching the roofing plywood
3) 6-ish inches of paper covered fiberglass bats
4) no vapour barrier but the topside of the ceiling has a silver face
5) a 3 inch duct ( crushed but no holes) from the bathroom on top of the insulation leading out to soffit ,
6) some electrical wiring penetrating the ceiling and routed over the insulation
7) several areas of frost that have not leaked water. I had removed snow from the roof a week earlier, and didnt see much ice.. certainly not ridges or buildup.
The occupants use a humidifier three times a week in one of the bedrooms that are leaking. The other area, which is a bedroom and closet corner does not experience humidification.
My thinking is .. not ice damming. Continue to remove blocking from attic edges, seal house-to-attic penetrations like the bathroom vent, and wiring, insulate the bathroom vent.