What is the best heating system to upgrade a 100 year old building?

R
Rachel Codd
Updated: Oct. 25, 2021

hi there, We are a group of students on an MA Interior Architecture course and this semester we are redesigning the interior of a Scout Hall. Its in the south of Scotland and is approx 100 years old. One this we are getting told ALOT from the users of the building is that it gets very cold! The building has no gas, electrics only and is currently heated with what I think you could call 2 massive industrial hot air blowers, alongside a small number of electric wall heaters. The whole system is known to be inadequate and we would like to be able to suggest something better as part of our design. Is there any advice you could give us, please? We want our proposal to be sustainable which is how I ending up finding your website. 

Thanks for your time! Best wishes Rachel   

Responses (3)

R
Rachel Codd 2 years ago
Mike Reynolds 2 years ago

Happy to help Rachel, I'm not surprised the issue of freezing with old stone buildings isn't common knowledge there, it's good for you to know in general but its not a big issue in more forgiving climates that don't experience a bone chilling deep freeze. As you read through those links feel free to check back for any clarification. Good luck with the project!