Which type of exterior insulation to use on a house?

Trevor Marshand
Updated: Sept. 22, 2020

I want to first off thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully provide some help. I've watched the great videos on here and just want to ensure I'm understanding everything completely before I go ahead and purchase/install the exterior insulation.

a little info on the existing house:

Its' in Northern Ontario , Canada. Atikokan to be specific. 
The house has a brick front (which I won't be adding insulation to)

the other 3 sides a 2x4 framed , cavities filled with batt insulation and old 3 mil vapour barrier inside

The 2x4 framing is actually sheathed with a buffalo board type of material on the exterior rather than OSB (I'm assuming the builders saved a few dollars by using such a bad material?)

There is old aluminum siding which I am planning to remove at which time I want to add rigid insulation and then vinyl siding

My questions are the following....

Which rigid insulation would be best for this application. My main concern is vapour/moisture issues between the rigid insulation and buffalo board.

My original plan was to remove aluminum siding. Apply a "Tyvek" wrap, fasten 1.5" rigid to the studs. Then apply a royal building (brand) vinyl siding directly on top of the rigid insulation using 3" fasteners. 
please let me know which product you would recommend for this type of application and if I am misunderstanding any of the steps needed to do this correctly .

Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to read this and also hopefully provide some insight. 


Responses (1)