Develop the technical knowledge to build using the principles of passive solar homes and to achieve sustainability and energy hyper-performance in domestic construction
This introduction into high performance construction techniques will explore the different options for wall structures, as well as the design and construction details that make home building projects successful. This well-invested day of professional education will also be an opportunity to analyse case studies to master the best solutions, and avoid the common mistakes made when transitioning from code-built to exceptionally built!
This training course is given live in a webinar format at the scheduled date and time so it can be attended from the location of your choosing. The course is also recorded and saved to the education hub in your member zone so it can be referenced in future as many times as you like!
Targets and objectives:
- Learn building science concepts as they apply to foundations, walls, roofs and openings, and gain an understanding of the theory behind these four elements.
- Understand the science behind the movement of moisture through building envelopes to ensure durabality, prevent moisture damage, safeguard indoor air quality, and achieve your energy efficiency goals.
- Learn to create hyper-efficient building envelopes to achieve zero or low-energy consumption for heating and cooling systems.
- Master all the concepts associated with building science, so you can apply them on site and avoid construction failures.
- Learn the resilient design principles of how to construct buildings that require as little maintenance as possible.
Who should attend:
The training course is aimed at housing professionals such as: architects, technologists, engineers and general contractors who want to gear their day-to-day professional practice towards building homes with greater sustainability, energy efficiency and durability.
- Best practices for foundation insulation
- Internal and external insulation techniques - the advantages and disadvantages
- How to achieve Passive House certification for foundations
- Construction details: taking a closer look at the cross-sections suggested in the "Eco-construction for professionals" course - cellulose walls, double-frame walls, insulated formwork
- On-site installation and air sealing
- How to determine when and at what level should a roof be ventilated
- Learn when an unventilated roof make sense and how to build them
- How to install windows to prevent water and air infiltration.
Bioclimatic design, fundamental principles
- Orientation and location of buildings
- How to capture, store and redistribute heat
- Shading and heat dissipation
- The pros and cons of thermal mass in homes
- Modelling and design tools
Types of structure and insulation choices
- R.E.M.O.T.E wall (Residential Exterior Membrane Outside insulation TEchnique)
- Insulation and its physical properties
- Membranes - understanding and choosing the right air and vapor barriers
- Infiltrometry and thermography
Case studies of real projects
- Review successful projects, and learn common mistakes to avoid
Emmanuel B. Cosgrove
Co-founder and General Director
With a Degree in Environmental Studies and International Development, Emmanuel brings over 20 years of hands-on experience in renovation and construction to his role as a passionate advocate for sustainable homes. As the visionary founder of Écohabitation and then Ecohome, he has dedicated himself to reshaping our approach to the built environment, striving to make it more sustainable, healthy, and energy-efficient while ensuring it remains durable, affordable, and accessible to all.
Emmanuel's expertise extends beyond advocacy, as he serves as a senior LEED® Canada for Homes evaluator, leading a team responsible for overseeing the LEED® certification process across Quebec for all building types. His multifaceted role also sees him as a dynamic speaker, trainer, manager, and strategic advisor, where he has built a reputation through his collaborations with diverse partners and organizations. His approach is characterized by integration, utilizing a range of reference tools and offering detailed solution paths for better construction, tailored to varying budgets.
Setting an inspiring example as an early adopter, Emmanuel achieved LEED® Platinum certification for a complete renovation of his own Montreal residence back in 2007. This was followed by making history with Ecohome by securing the first LEED® V4 Platinum certification in Canada (and second in the world) for the iconic Edelweiss house near Ottawa which was also awarded an Honourable mention in 2018 for the Inspiring Home Award. In recognition of his significant contributions to Green building, Emmanuel was honored to win the Canadian CAGBC Green Building Champion Award in 2016 and continues his quest to inspire better building with his training webinars.
100% satisfaction guaranteed
Experience Ecohome's training courses!
Ecohome is committed to offering high-quality, cutting-edge training in sustainable housing that is adapted to North America's climates and markets. All our training sessions are given by expert instructors with many years of experience in their respective fields. So you can be sure of a rewarding experience! And please look over our satisfaction policy to see that providing a positive and valuable experience for our participants is our priority.