How do you stop wood stove smoke from entering a home?

D
Don Leaver
Updated: Sept. 10, 2020

I am very sensitive to dust and smoke. We use a wood stove for winter heat. Just the small amount of smoke from opening the stove door causes throat irritation. The stove itself does not leak. Using an air purifier, but wondering if air exchange would help. Home is pretty air tight, built in Maine in 1986. Humidity is 50 per cent or less. Don't want to give up the wood stove. Don. Topsham, ME. 

Responses (4)

D
Don Leaver 4 years ago

Thank you for your response, great information! I looked at the video on ERV's and the one on balancing air pressure. There is negative pressure when I open the stove door. The stove uses inside air, no fresh air. We only heat part of the first floor of the house, about 600 square feet. I experimented yesterday with keeping a window cracked and the stove hood on low. I think it was better. Will look further at an ERV solution. I also thought of buying a heat pump for the 600 square foot area and cut back on use of the wood stove. Any further suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for your response and for this forum. Don.

D
Don Leaver 4 years ago

As I look at more info, it looks like the exhaust fan may be counter productive?

Mike Reynolds 4 years ago

Hi Don, I'm really glad those tips seems to have helped! The heat pump would for sure cut down on your wood consumption, we have a few pages on heat pumps (see here) that may help you. In our demo houses we have used mini-split heat pumps as well as a heat pump water heater and we've been very happy with the results. For a 600 square foot space you would be well served by a small mini-split heat pump, it would also give you cooling in the summer.