In ICF Construction, what is a good thermal break solution at a door threshold?

S
Shaun B
Updated: Sept. 17, 2020

I am building a net zero home with ICF blocks serving as a frost wall.  Our exterior above grade walls will also be ICF construction with the addition of 3.5" of EPS panels on the exterior.  We will have a concrete slab floor. 

What is the best method to support very heavy sliding doors and eliminate thermal bridging when building with ICF?  I really like the Legalett Thermasill product, but it looks to have a proprietary design that only fits with their slab on grade system.  Is there a similar product that can be used as a threshold to not only support the weight of the sliders but also be tough enough to act as a threshold on the exterior on the house? 

Thanks,

Shaun

Responses (3)

Shaun B
Shaun B 3 years ago

I'm a little surprised that a solution isn't available as this must be a common issue for those trying to build to passive house or net zero standards.  Are there any readers out there that have any insight that might help me?  I know there was a product by Compacfoam, but this doesn't seem available in my area.  Seems like a relatively easy solution.  Perhaps a product from Nexcem/Durisol?

Thanks

Robert J. Pierson 2 years ago