Family owned and operated since its inception in 1985, at Longhouse Specialty Forest Products we have provided with the highest quality wood products for over 35 years. However, our family ancestors have been milling wood in Qualicum as far back as the 1890s. With this much history and continuity in the local area, Longhouse possesses skill and experience that cannot be matched by our competitors.
Involved in more than 14,000 projects around the world, our company works with some of the most accomplished professionals in the construction and design industries. All of our custom millwork is completed at our production facility. We sell directly thereby offering savings to contractors.
What We Do
- Preserve the longevity of Vancouver Island’s old growth forests by following sustainable forest procedures.
- Maintain FSC® (Forest Stewardship Council) certification by the Rainforest Alliance since 2007.
- Specialize in Western Red Cedar.
- Work with all interior and coastal softwoods: yellow cypress (cedar), Douglas-fir, Pacific Coast hemlock, and spruce pine fir (SPF).
- Manufacture specialty products: custom cut yellow cedar decking, solid wood flooring, cedar fascia and soffits, different varieties of FSC® certified cedar siding, Japanese grade spruce siding, white oak flooring, and Douglas Fir products.
- Offer pre-staining onsite.
- Also offer Fire-Retardant Treated Wood (FRTW).
- Harvest, mill, and finish all our specialty products on Vancouver Island.
- We’re partnered with The Green Point Project.
- LEED certified.
- Manufacture soffits, fascia, siding, decking, timbers and beams by adhering to the ‘Green Initiative’.
- Retain membership with the Victoria Residential Building Association, Canada Green Building Council, and the Greater Vancouver Home Building Association.
- Belong to the South Island Woodlot Association.
- Offer direct distribution anywhere in the world.
In addition to receiving several awards for products and services in the forest industry, Longhouse recently received the ‘Manufacturer of the Year’ award from the Vancouver Island Construction Association. The ceremony occurred at the 2019 inaugural Awards Gala, organized by VICA. The award payed tribute to Longhouse’s recent project Pacific Centre Family Services Association in Victoria.
Why Choose Longhouse?
- Over 100 years of millwork and forest industry knowledge and experience.
- Sustainable forest practices.
- Global direct distribution.
- Coastal softwood knowledge and skill second to none.
Sustainability & ESG Rating
Our family run company has been dedicated to sustainability and renewability in the forest industry from the beginning. Longhouse Specialty Forest Products remains committed to maintaining a healthy environment for future generations with excellence in construction. Thereby, we have joined the ‘Green Initiative’ in several effective ways and are excited to share it with our valued customers.
The Green Initiative is chiefly about striving to protect the biodiversity of our ecosystems, reduce carbon dioxide emissions with reforestation, offset greenhouse gases, among many other environmental objectives. With these goals in mind, our company is not only proud to be partnered with The Green Point Project, but also LEED certified.
What is LEED? LEED is a certification process and rating system, with four possible levels of certification. Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is recognized worldwide as an indication of excellence for green building in over 160 countries. To date, the Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC) has certified over 4,000 LEED buildings in Canada.
Undoubtedly, building green creates healthier indoor air quality and promotes energy conservation, waste reduction during the construction process, and aims to build with sustainable site development and water savings as priorities.
The Green Point Project, www.thegreenpointproject.org, located at the mouth of Cowichan Bay on Vancouver Island, is another exciting construction partnership we’re proud to be associated with. Kenneth Chooi, Co-Founder of the project and Principal of DSK Architecture, is the lead architect of this sustainable development and has also been in partnership with Longhouse.
What is The Green Point Project? The project is a rebuild of an historical original building and encompasses salvaging original home materials (such as wood reclamation) to Passive House (PH) and Living Building Challenge (LBC) certifications. The challenges of accomplishing this task are great but there are numerous determined individuals involved in bringing it to fruition.
Not only are most of our ventures and initiatives green, but the builds are also visually stunning. Interested individuals can follow this exciting project on Instagram and watch how the project progresses and grows. www.instagram.com/thegreenpointproject/
The other green initiatives we’re proud to be members and supporters of encompass the Canada Green Building Council, Greater Vancouver Home Builder’s Association, Victoria Residential Builder’s Association, and South Island Woodlot Association. In addition, we can stand tall behind all of our products that are available Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified.
Longhouse Specialty Forest Products shouts loud and proud about our green initiative. We are not here for the short term, but with a passionate view of a bright future for our children, grandchildren, and so on. We’re dedicated to managing our forests on the naturally stunning West Coast for you and your future generations too.