Green home construction
Participants will leave with an understanding of the concepts of green home construction, and the knowledge to undertake projects themselves. Green homes don't have to cost more to build, but they are always healthier for occupants and cheaper to operate.
Some of our workshops do not have scheduled dates;
if you are interested in a course that is not currently scheduled, please feel free to contact us so we can inform you when a date is set.
- En classe
Purpose of this course:
To help participants understand the concepts and techniques for building efficient and healthy homes. Green homes don’t have to cost more, but will definitely save you money and reduce your carbon output. Whether you are building a home yourself or hiring a contractor, this course will help you understand the fundamentals of green home construction.
Owner-builders, designers, contractors, or the endlessly curious. No building experience is necessary, just a desire to learn the concepts of green building.
- The principles of sustainable building: energy, resources and health
- How to finance a building project
- Design ideas for comfortable, sustainable and affordable homes
- Using reclaimed materials
- Choosing a site
- The concepts of passive solar – free heating
- Windows and doors
- Foundation choices
- Choosing wall systems and building envelopes
- Proper roof ventilation and insulation
- Heating: radiant floors, masonry heaters, solar
- Mechanical: water, electricity, ventilation etc.
- Reducing home energy consumption
- The benefits of thermal mass
- Rainwater harvesting
- Eliminating radon gas