Advanced Building Envelopes
Understand the physics behind heat and moisture movement facilitates the design of better performing and more durable wall systems.
Some of our workshops do not have scheduled dates;
if you are interested in a course that is not currently scheduled, please feel free to contact us so we can inform you when a date is set.
- En classe
To showcase advances in building science and the latest cold climate wall systems. Learn the fundamentals of how moisture, heat and air move through walls and how to best manage these challenges in order to create more durable walls that will outperform and outlast traditionally built homes.
Intended audience: Owner-builders, designers, architects, general contractors
- The science: separating building envelope components
- Walls that work properly
- Physical factors affecting performance
- Problems caused by building envelope failures
- Dispelling the myths surrounding air barriers and vapour barriers
- Controlling moisture penetration through walls
- Thermal barriers (insulation): materials and techniques
- Foundations: why they are a heat sink and mold factory
- Exterior cladding: ensuring performance and durability
- Different buildings for different climates: one size does not fit all
- Net Zero Heat: the ultimate building envelope